Friday, May 12, 2006

Herbacious

After talking about planting some herbs in our backyard for several months, I finally got away from the computer and did something about it. On Saturday, I visited Tilth's Edible Plant Sale and ended up with a variety of herbs and a bag of compost. (Tilth is a Seattle non-profit dedicated to getting people to garden.) Sunday was a beautiful day, so after a trip to Home Depot for a hoe/shovel, some gloves, and a few more herbs, I spent the afternoon weeding (and weeding) so I could get everything in the ground before I could lose interest. Here the mostly-before picture (notice the dirt visible in the left corner where I had already starting clearing the weeds):

And the after:

Yes, it bugs me that the onions in the back aren't aligned, and yes, I need to get some plant identifiers for the scallions in the back right. But they're planted! I tried to keep it small since I haven't tried to keep plants alive in a really long time, and I'm not really the best at remembering to water. Secretly though, I'm just hoping all of that time I spent in my teenage years trying to get out of gardening with my dad will prove that I learned some stuff and that I got the gardening goodness from my Peck/Brewer bloodlines. :) My legs have been pretty sore from all of activity, but I think I'm recovered enough to plant the lavender plants down by the driveway this weekend...

No comments: